WOMEN, LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHERS, TAKE A STEP BACK TAKE A LOOK AT ONE ANOTHER



Today is international women's day. I've not 'celebrated' it in a physical way but I have spent the day with my mother doing what we do best. Putting the world to rights over copious amounts of tea. 

Somebody said to me once, 'all this feminist stuff is bullshit' . Their summary of thoughts behind this were that women in the west are hardly oppressed and that feminism has become trendy.

My mother would not label herself as a feminist but will happily chat away about feminist issues. The word feminism still hangs over like a big sigh. 'oh hear we go' and a nod of the head. But the world is filling up with feminists whether the word makes you cringe or not. Like today, we discussed how its totally bizarre that breastfeeding mothers cannot go back to work with their children and have to resort to boob pumps and the expense of formula. We have good maternity leave in the UK. Generally mothers are payed 90% of their wage for 6 months at least. But the World Health Organisation recognizes that breastfeeding up until 2 years of age is the biological norm. How does this work for a working mum? Is that why there is a huge rise in mum-boss? I certainly am looking for work based around boobing and mothering and its bloody hard to find. There should be a section on job search engines. 

Breastfeeding as a feminist subject. I have had nothing but praise and support for boob feeding Leo. Not once have I been challenged (you wait it will happen now). But that doesn't mean I still don't have thoughts about being 'appropriate' when I need to whip out a breast. I have had people say sorry if they've 'caught me' doing it. OK this isn't extreme oppression, however, a part of my body is still considered inappropriate when the male counterpart is fine. Do you know how lovely it would be to go to a beach and sun my tatas. No straps. No dodgy tan lines, no chaffing. 

My mother and I also discussed menstrual leave. Yes this should totally be a thing. 

Finally to challenge the notion that there should be an international mens day..Firstly there is. And I'll see you there too. I think that if women are raised up to the level men are and patriarchy can finally be scrapped that can only be beneficial for everyone. There are plenty of male stereotypes I'd love to see smashed. Stay at home dads, the idea that fathers 'babysit'. male nurses, midwives. A man being able to have a facial cleansing routine and not be called gay. My husband enjoys a regular face mask and always receives a rush of sympathy as if I've tortured him. Hair dye for men. Priced twice as much as women's hair dye Ridiculous! The rant could go on. I'm so aware that there is so much more to this. It runs so deep and is rising slowly but surely from every crevice in every society. This could be the worse piece of writing I have ever written but it is very important even if I'm rushing through my acknowledgement of it against the clock of a grumpy baby and my brain is starting to muddle. 

To quote my wonderful friend Emma, co creator of Bloody Nora Pam and the fucking kick ass apparel pictured

"We will wear our ELIMINATE GIRL HATE tees proudly and loudly and remember what they stand for. They stand for love, acceptance, for inclusion, for support, to not see others as competition but to raise others up. They stand for solidarity with every single person who is fighting to better the world." 


 

Comments

Popular Posts