What does breast feeding a ten month old feel like?

It's WORLD Breastfeeding week. Hurrah! Just going to self indulge in a little chat about my own nursing experience atm. 

My Leo is an ever so nearly 10 month old boy. A boy with thick curly hair, longest limbs ever and 5 teeth. I feed him 2 bottles of formula a day. One after his porridge and one before bed. Everything else in between is boob. 

First awkward question out the way, TEETH. A lot of people have just assumed that after babs got his first toothy pegs I'd stop breastfeeding. I did have some hesitation over it. But would just mumble 'er yeah I'll see' because I didn't want to wave my breast feeding banner and have to backtrack once the nipper (no pun intended) had sprouted some gnashers. Well after 5 teeth came literally at once in the space of a weekend, I can say.. It's been fine. Firstly if babies were to bite they'd get no milk. They're not daft and they are not suddenly going to risk having that milky flow stop. I have experienced a handful of bites. The first were understandable. He was just getting used to sensation of teeth. He did the same to his bottles and spoons. A quick wince and 'fucking hell' were enough to snap him out of his absent minded chew and carry on as per. He has bitten me deliberately though. I'm terrible when he's cheeky. He chomped then gave me the smiliest side eye followed by a giggle. I ended up laughing too. I did throw him off after the second time. Just a 'no' or 'careful' seems to do it. I do have to re-latch sometimes if he sucks a bit shallow. Usually when he's tired. 

I'm getting a tad more t shirt tugging but not full on lifting and burrowing. Sometimes when he's grumpy he winges and shoves his face in my chest only to reject my boob once I've properly whipped it out. Little poo. This can make public feeding a mare because feel like the mum of a newborn again awkwardly wondering whether her infant needs a feed. I'm used to the flesh flash after nearly a year, that's not my issue. Hashtag normalise that shit. Its just when he's refused milk even though I know he wants some or pops off after 30 seconds it can be frustrating when he suddenly wants it after he's plastered in neon orange red pepper puffs and trying to coat me in slobbery paste. I do carry a ready made and a clean bottle with me for tetchy times. At home he'll happily eat on his side. Which I have also managed a few times in the park. Al fresco.. To be honest if he really wants milk he will feed. Most recent extra curricular breast feeds have been in a National Trust, a beach, and during a sheep show. He's jut a bit like me in that he will get distracted and is very fussy about where he eats. I for example can't eat and walk. I'm a proper sit down eater and so is he. 

Leo love love loves to kick about whilst  he breastfeeds which is hes such a fuss pot when I'm trying to feed him say at a table when we are out. Foot in the face, once behind my head! He pulls on my hair. He has also stopped mid flow to twiddle. Again I was so curious watching him be curious I didn't really stop it. He just shouted an almighty 'EEEEAAAYYYHAHAHAAA' whilst slightly cross eyed then carried on. 

Night feeds are still happening. Most common times are 11, 1 and 5 We have had a few 11-7 sleeps. Trust me when I say formula makes sod all difference. I had to share the load for my sanity when I was doing 5 am cleaning shifts and thought maybe the bottles would stop the night boob. Nope. Same situation.

Best boob experience recently. My milk almost certainly calmed down a viral rash he'd developed . I was away for the weekend*, he got sick (mummas heart please!) Dada cuddles and calpol made him feel better whilst formula kept him satisfied and gave him the energy to get better. However the rash really calmed down once I returned home and we had an all day boob fest. Got to love those natural anti virals. 

Will I stop soon? Not sure. Everyday I have a moment where I think 'oh he's just not fussed' and then suddenly he'll have a huge calm feed and I'm buzzing that oxytocin glow and he's smiling and I'm thinking yessss this is what it's all about. 

*side note on the weekend away, 2 nights! I took my pump with me and managed about 6 ounces out of the good side (right tit if your wondering) and 2 out the other in the evenings and mornings. I didn't get engorged like the younger days but definitely had soreness both mornings. I'm afraid boobs are still mostly like an empty Capri Sun pouch that's been manically sucked by a child that's all hot and bothered at soft play. But I have treated myself to some Lucky Sew and Sew Bra's to sort em out. 







Comments

Popular Posts