How I passed my UK driving test.

This was resolution #1 for 2014 and I am so happy that 17th Feb was when I PASSED!

At 23 i felt so old to be getting back in the drivers seat. I had failed my first test when I was 18 and instead of trying again I went to uni, rash out of cash and got out of the habit. Couple of years later in Hereford I took a couple of lessons. But this was a peak of dissertation madness/ avoidance gone haywire. So again I stopped (for the best that time). 

Not having my pink license always felt a bit shameful. My boyfriend Rob going to A&E twice in one year is what really made me feel the NEED to drive again. One time he ended up in an ambulance and I had to move his car onto someones drive so we didn't get charged abandoning the car. I kept thinking "this is ridiculous I can drive the bloody thing" but obvs I didn't risk the illegal trip. 

SO Bristol was when I tried again. And this is how I did it. 

1. Money! UGH £30 for theory. £468 for 20 hours intensive lessons (included practical test). Top tip here is to not let your theory run out like I did and have to pay again to take it. Just daft really. I also got help for my lessons. Rob fronted my deposit and my Dad offered a little. I'm fiercely independent and it felt odd being helped. But my previous driving experience was funded by me alone. I used all my part time job wages and my weekly EMA (college government thing). Which made me a tad bitter watching all my mates driving lessons be funded my banks of mum and dad!  IF you can get help, use it because this isn't a fad it's an important life skill. 

2. Intensive. The intensive hours helped my situation as I didn't need the 'from scratch' course. They cost a fraction more because you pass quicker than weekly lessons. The best thing about having four-six hours a week was how comfortable I felt getting in the car. On my weekly lessons I used to lose all confidence and almost forget the skills from the week before. HOWEVER. I was not insured on anyone's car for practice. After waiting a week I'd get the major worries. Of course I'd be fine but i think too much of driving was spent being scared therefore too scared to really take in info. 

3. Have a journal. Instructors always end on a little debrief. As soon as I got out the car I would jot down the points made. Good way of ridding bad habits. 

4. YOUTUBE. This channel was so so help full. Youtube is great for drilling in those maneuver routines. 

5. Study everyday. I never did practice in anyone elses car. So to keep it fresh I read a Q and A workbook on passing the road test. I watched videos, watch traffic from the bus, from others cars, and kept taking mock theory tests after i passed my theory. 

6. These words here. The breathing thing is genius.

7. I had Rob drive the test routes so I could really see where i was going, lanes, directions, speed limits. It was a joy navigating him around a major roundabout he'd never been on and feeling in control. 

8. Do your theory right now! Book it when you start lessons and study hard. The hazard perception will get easier the more you drive. I used this App then payed for the full version for all the questions unlocked. 

9. RESCUE REMEDY 

10. Relax and be proud. Don't focus on your age or speed your learning. Keep it a secret if that helps. And comfy shoes. Sure I looked like a tramp on test day but who cares! 


Seriously I blame intensive clutch control.... 

PS I learned with Keiths

Comments

Popular Posts